Vacancy for Ranger at Fota Wildlife Park
Fota Wildlife Park, part of the Zoological Society of Ireland, is located on 100 acres at Fota Island 10km east of Cork City and has an annual attendance of 465,000 visitors
Fota Wildlife Park’s vision is to inspire people to understand and conserve the biodiversity of our natural world. The Park’s core values of conservation, education, research and entertainment have ensured that we are uniquely placed to foster greater public understanding of the threats to plant and animal habitats and decreasing global biodiversity. Fota Wildlife Park has made considerable investment in the past 8 years upgrading its infrastructure and developing 27 acres of additional land that focuses on Asian animals including Sumatran tiger, Indian rhino and Asiatic lion.
Job Specification – Ranger
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a highly motivated individual as a Ranger within Fota Wildlife Park. The Ranger is for the Animal Care Department and will be required to work in one of either the, Carnivore (including reptiles, fish, birds and other species), Hoofstock or Primate Section’s. This position will work with the Lead Rangers, Senior Rangers and Rangers, and reports to the Lead Ranger.
The Ranger will assist the Lead Ranger and Senior Ranger of their assigned section, with the implementation and evaluation of husbandry standards, enrichment, training, and health care for animals in that section. A strong work ethic and proven experience of operant conditioning and animal enrichment are required. Duties will include, but is not limited to, the care and feeding of exotic and domestic animals; the cleaning and maintenance of buildings, exhibits, and other animal enclosures; observation and reporting of physical and behavioural condition of the animals; animal training; and participation in Fota Wildlife Park’s conservation and education programs.
- Ensure the health, condition and behaviour of the animals are closely monitored and maintained to the highest standards, taking preventative or remedial action in liaison with the Senior Section staff as necessary, keeping all relevant records as required.
- Ensure up-to-date knowledge and understanding relevant to the section, utilising all available resources and making recommendations for change and improvement through the appropriate channels.
- Work closely with the veterinary personnel regarding all aspects of animal health care, including assisting with the capture and restraint of all species and being involved with implementation of preventative medicine programmes as required.
- Works with the Senior Section staff to develop the operant conditioning programme and can train to a level to include various completed behaviours.
- Works with the Senior Section staff to develop the provision of enrichment to stimulate the animals physically and psychologically.
- Ensure that Fota Wildlife Park’s policies and procedures are always followed and ensuring the correct adherence of Health and Safety compliant practices and where appropriate the implementation of new safe working practices with approval of senior line managers.
- Work with Fota Wildlife Park’s Education Department to facilitate educational programs.
- Able to work a flexible schedule, which will include some holidays, occasionally evenings and early mornings.
- Have a good working knowledge of Microsoft software products as well as a working knowledge of ZIMS.
- Must be able to travel large areas of Fota Wildlife Park as needed.
- Has a substantial experience of zoological animal management, with at least five years relevant experience.
- Has achieved or is willing to work towards an appropriate animal related qualification (DMZAA or equivalent).
- Possess a comprehensive understanding of Health & Safety as it applies in a Zoological Setting and be proficient in the use of IT systems including ZIMS.
- Be fluent in both written and spoken English.
- Applicants must be willing to work Saturdays, Sundays, and some public holidays.
Fota Wildlife Park is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for team members who share those same values.
Please apply via application below only.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 24th September 2021