Fota launched its Green Zone initiative in 2012 – aiming to reduce, reuse and recycle waste being produced in the Park.
As leaders in wildlife conservation and animal care, Fota Wildlife Park takes its responsibilities towards the environment very seriously and is committed to leading by example of the area of recycling and waste management.
The introduction of a series of sustainable practices at the Park since the beginning of 2011 has seen the volume of waste bring sent to landfill reduced by over two thirds. Recycling rates have soared following the creation of three Green Zones for visitors and food waste from the cafes and restaurant is now separated out and used for composting.
Visitors coming to Fota Park can also play their part, and in showcasing the very latest in sustainable practices the staff is hoping to inspire Green initiatives in homes and work places across Ireland.
Reduce your footprint:
- Travel to the Park by train or share a car with family and friends
- Minimise your use of disposable items within the Park
- Eat the food you buy and dispose of any leftovers appropriately
- Throw away as little as possible
- Make sure to put your rubbish in the right bin. Three Green Zones have been created (outside the Coffee shop, outside the Oasis café and by the Main Entrance), so take a moment or two to help protect your environment.
- Remember whether it’s at home or work – Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.
Reusing materials reduces the need to destroy even more of the world’s wetlands, forests and rivers. Recycling also requires far less energy and uses fewer natural resources so every effort will help to make a difference.
COME AND JOIN OUR ONLINE COMMUNITY
LIKE AND FOLLOW US
Keep up to date on the latest news and happenings from Fota Wildlife Park. Tag your social media photos with #FotaWildlife to share!